Nadia`s family allege police harassment, seeks CBI inquiry
Panaji: Family members of Nadia Torrado
today alleged that Goa Police have been pressurising them to
make "untrue statements" against former tourism minister
Fransisco Mickey Pacheco and sought a CBI inquiry into her
"Police under the pretext of carrying out
investigations have been harassing the petitioners and putting
them under great mental trauma by directly and indirectly
threatening them and pressuring them to make untrue
statements," a petition filed by the family before Goa bench
of Bombay High Court said.
Nadia`s mother Sonia claimed SP Mangaldas Naik
threatened to implicate her over phone, if she did not make
statements against Pacheco.
"This shows that there is not even a slightest
possibility of any fair investigations in the matter by Goa
Police and therefore to protect the interest of the
petitioners and in the interest of the justice as also to
guarantee and protect the fundamental and statutory rights of
the petitioners, it is necessary that the investigation be
handed over to some free and impartial agency like CBI," the
Nadia`s family claimed that they have been willing to
cooperate in the investigations and have till date lent all
possible support to the police.
"However, the harassment and ill-treatment tactics
adopted by the police are totally inhumane and illegal rude
and violate the fundamental rights of the petitioners," it
Sonia alleged that on the day Nadia died, a team of
armed policemen led by inspector Raju Raut and Santosh Desai
came to her residence and started ransacking the house.
"Police gave us constant threat of dire consequences
while they ransacked the house," the family alleged.
28-year-old Nadia died on May 30 in a Chennai hospital
after allegedly consuming poison.
Pacheco, who was interrogated by Crime Branch in
connection with the case, was named the prime suspect by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi