Notices to be issued against 8 mines in Goa
Panaji: Goa Mines and Geology Department
will issue notices to eight mining units after state-appointed
Shah Commission alleged large-scale irregularities by these
Justice M B Shah, who personally visited few of the
mines, has pointed out the irregularities, official sources of
the department said.
However, Director of the department Arvind Lolienkar
refused to comment on the issue.
A team of Shah Commission is currently camping in Goa and
visiting all the 90-odd mining leases. During his visit last
week, Shah had visited couple of mines.
Out of the eight mines, few are run by Congress
politicians in the state, they said.
Shah, during his visit had inspected two mines Sesa
Goa`s Mulgao mine and Timblo`s Cuddegal mine, where mishaps
had occurred during the ongoing rainy season.
Meanwhile, eight teams of Shah Commission, headed by
panel member U V Singh, are conducting extensive survey of
mines in the state. Singh, who had left Goa along with Shah
on Monday, will be returning on Thursday.
Noted environmentalist Ramesh Gawas said they have full
faith in Shah Commission inquiry.
"There are places like Shirgao, where entire village is
facing threat due to mining. We will bring such cases to the
notice of the commission," he said.
The NGOs and civil society activists have already
submitted their pleas and detailed documents against illegal
mining to Justice Shah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre