Parrikar picks newbies in first cabinet expansion
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar
Parrikar on Sunday inducted six more ministers in his Cabinet,
including four legislators from BJP, one from alliance
Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP) and one independent.
Goa Governor K Sankarnarayanan administered the oath
of office to all the six MLAs in a ceremony held at Raj Bhavan
in the evening.
The new entrants are Ramesh Tawadkar (BJP), Mahadev
Naik (BJP), Dilip Parulekar (BJP), Milind Naik (BJP), Deepak
Dhavalikar (MGP) and Avertano Furtado (Independent).
Todays is the first cabinet expansion carried out by
Parrikar since he was sworn in as chief minister on March 9
after a landslide victory by his party in March 3 polls.
In the first induction, he had sworn in six ministers
out of whom state forest, environment and tourism minister
Mathany Saldanha died recently due to cardiac arrest.
Parrikar said that one ministerial berth was still
lying vacant and decision on it will be taken only by month
The chief minister said that the newly anointed
ministers will be distributed portfolios by Tuesday.
All legislators, who took the oath of secrecy, are
being inducted for the first time in any state cabinet.
Except one, all are two or three timers in the state
Independent MLA Avertan Furtado, who emerged as a
giant killer defeating Congress heavyweight Churchill Alemao
at the hustings, managed to get the ministerial berth even
though he is the first timer in Assembly as well.
Parrikar said that the new inductees would be
initially entrusted with two portfolios and will be given the
additional charge of another department after six months once
they get a grip on the affairs of their assigned departments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray