Police rescue 14 bar girls from a pub in Goa
Panaji: Police rescued 14 sex workers
double up as bar girls after raiding a pub in Calangute here,
and seized a cash of Rs 1.5 lakh, sources said on Moday.
The girls, who were allegedly forced to do immoral
acts, hailed from Nepal, West Bengal and from the coastal
state, they said.
The raid, conducted in the wee hours on Monday, was
supervised personally by the state DGP Aditya Arya, while
representatives of a local NGO accompanied police, sources
"DGP personally joined the raid which was conducted
between 12.30-12.40 am," a senior police official said.
The rescued girls would double up as sex workers at
the pub which was being run without valid license, he said.
After closure of dance bars in Mumbai, the bar girls
are increasingly being pushed into flesh trade in the pubs
located at various places along the North Goa coastline.
The concerned pub had valid license to serve liquor
till March 2011 but had not renewed it.
"There was loud music being played at the pub till mid
night by a disk jockey," police said.
The pub was in the news recently over a drunken brawl,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- BMWs for Rio Champions: Shobhaa De launches SCATHING attack – See her Tweet
- Horribly Sad! Single lightning strike kills 323 reindeers in Norway
- Retiring Tillakaratne Dilshan speaks on lack of support from teammates during his captaincy stint
- MS Dhoni backs Virat Kohli-led team India to claim No. 1 spot in Tests by the end of home season
- I want to play a warrior: Tabu