Popular Goa beaches to have security up till midnight
Panaji: The Goa tourism department has decided to increase security on the state`s popular beaches by extending deployment of policemen till midnight.
A decision to this effect was taken yesterday at a high level tourism security committee meeting which was chaired by state tourism minister Dilip Parulekar.
Beaches like Baga, Anjuna, Calangute, Colva and others which are popular and have highest footfalls will be given security cover till midnight, Parulekar said.
India Reserve Battalion (IRB) has been deployed at the beaches in addition to the Tourism Security Force, which is currently facing manpower shortage.
The IRB will remain posted at lesser popular beaches till 10 PM, he said.
It was also decided at the meeting to strengthen Tourism Security Force, which currently has 75 personnel.
"Additional 125 personnel would be recruited in the force soon, strengthening it further," Parulekar added.
The meeting was held to review security arrangements in the backdrop of commencement of the tourist season in the coastal state.
The first chartered flight carrying Russian tourists arrived in the state on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter