Popular Goa beaches to have security up till midnight
Panaji: The Goa tourism department has decided to increase security on the state`s popular beaches by extending deployment of policemen till midnight.
A decision to this effect was taken yesterday at a high level tourism security committee meeting which was chaired by state tourism minister Dilip Parulekar.
Beaches like Baga, Anjuna, Calangute, Colva and others which are popular and have highest footfalls will be given security cover till midnight, Parulekar said.
India Reserve Battalion (IRB) has been deployed at the beaches in addition to the Tourism Security Force, which is currently facing manpower shortage.
The IRB will remain posted at lesser popular beaches till 10 PM, he said.
It was also decided at the meeting to strengthen Tourism Security Force, which currently has 75 personnel.
"Additional 125 personnel would be recruited in the force soon, strengthening it further," Parulekar added.
The meeting was held to review security arrangements in the backdrop of commencement of the tourist season in the coastal state.
The first chartered flight carrying Russian tourists arrived in the state on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!