Security to be heightened on Margao blast anniversary
Panaji: Security arrangements will be
tightened across Goa on October 16, marking the anniversary
for Margao bomb blast, police said on Tuesday.
Police spokesman Atmaram Deshpande said although there
are no specific inputs of anything planned on the day, which
happens to be Saturday, the security is a part of precautions.
Margao had witnessed a blast on October 16 last
year on the eve of Diwali.
"This year, we will also have heightened security on
November 4, which is Diwali eve," Deshpande said adding
throughout Diwali the security will be high in the state.
Six persons, owing allegiance to Sanatan Sanstha,
were arrested after the blast that killed two in Margao town.
Police had defused two more Improvised Explosive
Devices (IEDs) at Verna, 20 kms away from Margao averting a
The National Investigation Agency (NIA), which is probing
the blast in their charge sheet, had said that the blasts were
to protest against the act of glorifying `Narakasur`, a demon.
Huge effigies of `Narakasur` are taken out in a
procession on Diwali eve in the state, and later burnt.
Sanatan Sanstha has been propagating against the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof