Tejpal seeks info on expenses to prosecute him in rape case
Panaji: Tehelka Founder Editor Tarun Tejpal who has been chargesheeted for raping a junior woman colleague in Goa last year has sought information under Right to Information (RTI) relating to the money spent on the entire exercise of investigating and prosecuting him in the case.
Tejpal has filed an application in this regard with Goa police listing four questions, a senior police officer told PTI today.
He said that Tejpal`s application is being scrutinised, on the grounds whether the information sought by him can be given under RTI act.
The 50-year-old journalist has sought to know how much money was spent by the state government to pay for the Special Public Prosecutor, for fighting the case against him in various courts, including Goa Bench of Bombay High Court.
He has also inquired about the number of lawyers those were engaged by the state government in this case.
Tejpal who was arrested on November 30 was denied bail by the sessions and High Court. He has now moved the Supreme Court for bail.
"The RTI also seeks to know as to how many police officers or officials were assigned to investigate the charges of rape against him," a senior official said, adding he has also asked for the details of traveling and other miscellaneous expenses incurred by the officials, traveling between Goa-Mumbai and Goa-Delhi to gather evidence against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM