Voting underway in Valpoi by-polls in Goa
Valpoi (Goa): Voting for the Valpoi
Assembly constituency in Goa began Monday morning amidst tight
In all, 17,912 voters will exercise their franchise in
the by-election which was necessitated after sitting
independent legislator Vishwajit Rane resigned from the
Assembly seat to join Congress.
Rane is pitted against BJP`s Santosh Halarnkar in a
straight fight in the constituency situated almost 80 kms away
The constituency tucked in the lap of Western Ghats
has shown swinging trends in past.
It was earlier the bastion of Maharashtrawadi Gomantak
Party which later went in favour of BJP and in the recent
election Vishwajit, son of Goa`s longest serving Chief
Minister Pratapsingh Rane, got elected unopposed.
Rane claims that development is a key to success here
while BJP has launched full length campaign against him.
BJP leaders have accused Rane of supporting mining
projects in this ecologically sensitive constituency which can
spell doom for the environment.
Both the parties have stressed on door-to-door
campaign and corner meetings for the election.
Strong police presence was seen in the constituency
which does not have any history of violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?