2002 riots: HC accepts Gujarat plea over jobs to victims kin
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Tuesday on Tuesday
accepted the State Government`s plea that it was not possible
to provide appointments on compassionate grounds to family
members of the 2002 post-Godhra riot victims as it was a
The HC said since the Government has stated that it
was unable to give jobs on compassionate grounds to family
members of the riot affected persons, it was not inclined to
make an opinion with regard to the matter.
"As it is a matter of Government policy, we pass no
order for grant of compassionate appointments," a Division
bench of Chief Justice S J Mukhopadhaya and Justice K M Thakar
The observation was made while hearing a public
interest litigation (PIL) filed by Gagan Sethi, a member of
Special Monitoring Group appointed by National Human Rights
Commission (NHRC) after the 2002 riots.
The Bench also directed the state to immediately
disburse Rs 85.75 crore released by the Centre for persons
whose uninsured commercial and industrial properties were
damaged during the communal violence nine years ago.
It asked the Government to direct all 22 District
Collectors concerned to disburse the compensation amount
immediately, and provide it with a list of persons in each
district in whose name payment has been made.
Further hearing has been scheduled on March 15.
The State Government had told the court last year that
it has disbursed the compensation package, announced by the
Centre, to almost all the riot victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown