Asaram, son to appear before probe panel by June 6
Ahmedabad: The Justice DK Trivedi
Commission, probing the mysterious death of two teenagers at a
religious ashram here in 2008, today issued an ultimatum to
spiritual leader Asaram Bapu and his son Narayan Sai to appear
before it by June 6.
The father-son duo today failed to appear before the
Commission despite summons issued against them for the third
Summons had been issued under the Commission of
Enquiry Act, following an application by Prafful Waghela and
Shantilal Waghela, parents of the deceased boys Dipesh and
Abhishek, seeking questioning of Asaram Bapu and Narayan Sai.
The advocate representing the Waghelas, SH Iyer, said
that Justice Trivedi also warned the counsel, representing the
respondents--Asaram and Narayan Sai--that it could issue
warrants against them if they fail to appear before it by June
The counsels representing the duo had earlier sought
their exemption from appearing before the panel on grounds
that since one of their petitions was pending with the Supreme
Court, they could appear before the Commission only after the
petition is disposed off.
The Commission said it had already rejected this
submission during the earlier hearing last month.
Asaram`s lawyer BM Gupta today submitted an
application to call Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as
a witness as he had convinced the parents of the boys to break
their fast in 2008.
The hearing on the application has been scheduled to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'