Asaram, son to appear before probe panel by June 6
Ahmedabad: The Justice DK Trivedi
Commission, probing the mysterious death of two teenagers at a
religious ashram here in 2008, today issued an ultimatum to
spiritual leader Asaram Bapu and his son Narayan Sai to appear
before it by June 6.
The father-son duo today failed to appear before the
Commission despite summons issued against them for the third
Summons had been issued under the Commission of
Enquiry Act, following an application by Prafful Waghela and
Shantilal Waghela, parents of the deceased boys Dipesh and
Abhishek, seeking questioning of Asaram Bapu and Narayan Sai.
The advocate representing the Waghelas, SH Iyer, said
that Justice Trivedi also warned the counsel, representing the
respondents--Asaram and Narayan Sai--that it could issue
warrants against them if they fail to appear before it by June
The counsels representing the duo had earlier sought
their exemption from appearing before the panel on grounds
that since one of their petitions was pending with the Supreme
Court, they could appear before the Commission only after the
petition is disposed off.
The Commission said it had already rejected this
submission during the earlier hearing last month.
Asaram`s lawyer BM Gupta today submitted an
application to call Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as
a witness as he had convinced the parents of the boys to break
their fast in 2008.
The hearing on the application has been scheduled to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NASA inflates spare room in space
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, BSEB 10th Result 2016: Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016 (biharboard.bih.nic.in) to be declared today on May 29
- Kiran Bedi to assume charge as Lt Governor of Puducherry today
- Trials of Talgo train to commence today: Know more about it
- Cristiano Ronaldo strikes shoot-out winner as Real Madrid crowned kings of Europe