Ashram deaths: Asaram Bapu, son summoned
Ahmedabad: Even as the Supreme Court on Friday refused to order a CBI probe into death of two children at Asaram Bapu`s ashram here, a commission probing the 2008 case ordered the religious guru and his son to appear before it.
The Justice (retired) D K Trivedi Commission asked Asaram Bapu to remain present before it on December 1, while his son Narayan Sai, has been asked to appear on November 11.
Both of them have to depose before the commission as witnesses.
Expressing unhappiness over the father-son duo not appearing on different grounds in the past, the commission asked them to file individual undertakings to remain present without fail in the form of affidavits.
"These affidavits shall reach the commission on November 10 and be handed over to the secretary of the commission," Justice D K Trivedi said in his order.
The commission also said that at one point, it had desired to exercise its power to secure their presence as witnesses by issuing warrant.
Meanwhile, on behalf of Asaram and son, a disciple of the ashram Uday Sanghani submitted two separate applications stating that Narayan Sai expressed his willingness to appear on November 11 and Asaram was ready to appear on November 19.
Two young boys -- Deepesh and Abhishek had gone missing from the ashram on July 3, 2008.
Two days later on July 5, they were found dead outside the ashram. Both of them were resident students at the ashram.
Following controversy over the matter, the Gujarat government had announced to set up a commission to probe the case.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today