Atrocity case: Guj HC dismisses Bhatt`s plea
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Monday
dismissed suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt`s plea for stay
on ongoing criminal proceedings against him in a 1990 incident
of alleged police atrocity, that resulted in the death of one
Bhatt, in his petition, had challenged the legality and
validity of the order of a Jamnagar district court refusing to
defer framing of charges against him in the 21-year-old case.
He had sought quashing of the order of Jamnagar court and
further demanded stay on all proceedings against him in
relation to the case till the criminal revision application
filed by him there is decided upon first.
Justice M R Shah, hearing the case, dismissed Bhatt`s
petition saying that there was no need to restrain the court
from framing charges against the accused.
The High Court, however, observed that framing of charges
against Bhatt would be subject to the outcome of his criminal
revision application which the Jamnagar court would decide
upon after hearing him and the prosecution.
Justice Shah during the course of arguments further said
that framing of charges against the accused after 21 years was
denying justice to the victim.
The Jamnagar court is scheduled to frame charges against
Bhatt and six other accused in the case tomorrow.
On December 9, a fast track court of Jamkhambhalia taluka
in Jamnagar rejected Bhatt`s application seeking deferment on
framing of charges against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145