Combating malnutrition on war footing: Narendra Modi
Vadodara: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday said in its pursuit of bringing all-round development, the state government has undertaken efforts on "a war footing" to combat malnutrition and is also focusing on the human development index.
"Efforts are on to combat malnutrition and steps are being taken up to ensure that good hygiene practices are observed (by people)," Modi said in his message to the MS University`s Faculty of Social Work on the opening day of the two-day
international conference on women and millennium development goals here.
A CAG report last year had said 66 per cent of children in Gujarat are underweight. However, the state government countered the report claiming that this figure has declined to less than 26 per cent in 2013 due to various steps taken by the state dispensation.
Minister of State for Higher Education Vasuben Trivedi inaugurated the conference today.
In his letter to organisers, Modi wrote,"..The state is addressing various areas of education, health services, quality care, especially for girl child and pregnant mother, through pro-active governance".
The conference is first of its kind in the history of 64-year-old faculty, and is probably the first by its nature on a topical issue in Gujarat.
Delegates from countries like US, UK, Australia, and Sri Lanka, besides around 350 delegates form various states and UTs in India are attending the conference.
Modi in his message observed that showing respect to women is the novel feature of Indian culture. "Worshipping women in the form of `shakti swarupa` is our culture...With the goal of all round development, the state government has focused on the area of human development since last decade".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves