Combating malnutrition on war footing: Narendra Modi
Vadodara: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday said in its pursuit of bringing all-round development, the state government has undertaken efforts on "a war footing" to combat malnutrition and is also focusing on the human development index.
"Efforts are on to combat malnutrition and steps are being taken up to ensure that good hygiene practices are observed (by people)," Modi said in his message to the MS University`s Faculty of Social Work on the opening day of the two-day
international conference on women and millennium development goals here.
A CAG report last year had said 66 per cent of children in Gujarat are underweight. However, the state government countered the report claiming that this figure has declined to less than 26 per cent in 2013 due to various steps taken by the state dispensation.
Minister of State for Higher Education Vasuben Trivedi inaugurated the conference today.
In his letter to organisers, Modi wrote,"..The state is addressing various areas of education, health services, quality care, especially for girl child and pregnant mother, through pro-active governance".
The conference is first of its kind in the history of 64-year-old faculty, and is probably the first by its nature on a topical issue in Gujarat.
Delegates from countries like US, UK, Australia, and Sri Lanka, besides around 350 delegates form various states and UTs in India are attending the conference.
Modi in his message observed that showing respect to women is the novel feature of Indian culture. "Worshipping women in the form of `shakti swarupa` is our culture...With the goal of all round development, the state government has focused on the area of human development since last decade".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM