Cong-Modi spat on proposed Sardar Patel statue intensifies
New Delhi: The Congress-Narendra Modi spat
over his announcement of erecting the world`s tallest statue
of Sardar Patel on Friday intensified with the party today
accusing the Gujarat Chief Minister of indulging in "cheap
antics" just ahead of the civic polls.
"The problem with the Gujarat Chief Minister is that he
is back to very, very cheap antics....There cannot be
absolutely any objection to installing the statue of Patel,
but the context has to be taken into account," party spokesman
Manish Tewari told reporters.
Gujarat Congress has complained to the state Election
Commission accusing Modi of breaching the poll code while Modi
dubbed the action as an "insult" to Patel.
Tewari said if the Gujarat Chief Minister was so serious
to honour India`s first Home Minister, he would have
contributed to the renovation of Patel`s memorial in
"There has been no such contribution for the past nine
years," he claimed.
Tewari alleged that Modi`s announcement of erecting the
statue just ahead of elections to six municipal corporations
was to garner votes for the BJP. "His intention is to gain
cheap popularity and score brownie points."
A couple of days back, Modi had announced erection of 182
feet tall statue of Sardar Patel called `Statue of Unity` at
Sadhu Bet, an island on River Narmada, which will be double
the height of `Statue of Liberty`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price