Cong-Modi spat on proposed Sardar Patel statue intensifies
New Delhi: The Congress-Narendra Modi spat
over his announcement of erecting the world`s tallest statue
of Sardar Patel on Friday intensified with the party today
accusing the Gujarat Chief Minister of indulging in "cheap
antics" just ahead of the civic polls.
"The problem with the Gujarat Chief Minister is that he
is back to very, very cheap antics....There cannot be
absolutely any objection to installing the statue of Patel,
but the context has to be taken into account," party spokesman
Manish Tewari told reporters.
Gujarat Congress has complained to the state Election
Commission accusing Modi of breaching the poll code while Modi
dubbed the action as an "insult" to Patel.
Tewari said if the Gujarat Chief Minister was so serious
to honour India`s first Home Minister, he would have
contributed to the renovation of Patel`s memorial in
"There has been no such contribution for the past nine
years," he claimed.
Tewari alleged that Modi`s announcement of erecting the
statue just ahead of elections to six municipal corporations
was to garner votes for the BJP. "His intention is to gain
cheap popularity and score brownie points."
A couple of days back, Modi had announced erection of 182
feet tall statue of Sardar Patel called `Statue of Unity` at
Sadhu Bet, an island on River Narmada, which will be double
the height of `Statue of Liberty`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27