Dalit student gang-rape: HC upholds life term for five teachers
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Saturday upheld life imprisonment of five out of six teachers for repeatedly raping a 19-year-old Dalit girl student of their college in Patan.
The high court reduced punishment of the sixth teacher from life term to ten years` imprisonment.
A two-judge Bench of Justice Akil Kureshi and Justice ZK Saiyed confirmed the life imprisonment for Manish Parmar, Mahendra Prajapati, Ashwin Parmar, Kiran Patel and Suresh Patel--all teachers of Patan`s government-run Primary Teachers` Training College (PTC)--but reduced the term of the sixth convict, Atul Patel.
A fast track court in Patan in 2009 had sentenced all six teachers to life term.
The high court took into account the delay in filing of the FIR, the versions of the accused and corroboration of evidences before pronouncing the judgement.
Atul Patel had committed the crime only once and was not involved in gang-rape or multiple gang-rape. Hence, his life term was reduced to rigorous imprisonment of ten years by the high court, the bench said.
The shocking incident came to light on February 4, 2008 after the girl confided in her parents and relatives about the repeated sexual assaults by the teachers over a period of six months.
According to the prosecution, the teenager, who comes from a humble background, was raped by the convicts who threatened her of failing in examinations.
The teachers would also harass her mentally so as to force her into submission, prosecution said, adding that the teenager was also subjected to mental torture by relatives of the teachers after she disclosed her ordeal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city