Devotees begin Lili Parikrama from Bhavnath temple in Gujarat
Vadodara: Heavy rains lashing Junagadh
district of Gujarat did not dampen the spirits of lakhs of
devotees undertaking the `Lili Parikrama` at the foothills of
The Parikrama (circumambulation) began last midnight from
Bhavnath temple and will end at the same place on November 22.
According to a legend, the Girnar Hills is home to 33
crore gods. Those undertaking its Parikrama said "it provides
us opportunity to worship all these gods at a time."
Gujarat Finance minister Vajubhai Vala lighted the lamp
marking the beginning of this parikrama in the presence of
saints and religious leaders. He praised the spirit of the
devotees who thronged the temple despite heavy showers in
During this parikrama, a fair is organised by local
people, sadhus, and police and forest department officials. The
pilgrimage on foot takes four days.
Of the seven peaks of Girnar, five--Ambamata, Gorakhnath,
Augadh, Guru Dattatreya and Kalika--are considered to be very
important. Devotees visit the Bhavnath Shiv temple,
Bhartruchari caves, Sorath Mahal, Bhim Kund and Shiv Kund
during the ritual.
According to official sources, the fair and parikrama is
likely to be attended by around 6 lakh people from different
parts of the country.
The parikrama is celebrated by worshipping Lord Shiva
and people start walking on the identified tracks day and
night. The administration has taken up number of steps for
making it a smooth affair.
The entire Girnar hill pathways are lighted up devotees,
who continue walking enjoying `bhajans` and `raas mandlis` and
the folk music during nights. This journey ends on the full
moon night at the Bhavnath temple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming