Embattled Trivedi finds support in Gujarat
Vadodara: Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi,
who is in the line of fire of Trinamool Congress chief Mamta
Banerjee, has found support from organizations in his home
district of Kutch in Gujarat.
Trivedi, who is settled in West Bengal, hails from
Bidada village of Mandvi taluka in Kutch district.
Enraged over "humiliating" treatment being meted out to
the Railway Minister by TMC chief Mamata Banerjee, the local
organisations in Kutch district have joined hands to raise
their pitch in support of Trivedi.
"What is the fault of Trivedi who presented a historic
budget and proposed hike in fares for safety and providing
more facilities to passengers travelling by trains across
the country"? said Rajesh Bhatt, president of Kutch Chamber of
Commerce and Industries and Komal Chheda, former president of
Kutch Yuvak Sangh.
"Will it be possible for West Bengal chief minister
Mamata Banerjee to run her government without raising revenues
and hiking taxes"? they said taking a dig at the West Bengal
It is not expected from the leader of the stature of
Mamata Banerjee who has faxed a letter to Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh demanding dismissal of Trivedi from the
cabinet, they said.
Mamata had written to the Prime Minister seeking the
replacement of Trivedi with another party nominee Mukul Roy,
Union Minister of State for Shipping.
The local organisations have formed a front under
"Kutchh Lokhit Samiti" in protest against Mamata`s stand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption