`Govt pleaded with SC to hand over Sohrabuddin case to CBI`
Ahmedabad: Although the union government has
maintained that the CBI was investigating into Sohrabuddin
fake encounter case at the instance of the Supreme Court, BJP on Saturday said the demand for handing over the case to CBI came
from the Government itself.
Speaking to reporters here today, BJP`s national
spokesperson Ravishankar Prasad said, "The attorney general
had raised the demand for a CBI investigation in the case".
He quoted from an apex court judgement which reads "When
the matter came up for hearing before this court on May 17,
2007, the Attorney General of India submitted before us that
it was a fit case where this court should pass an order
directing for CBI investigation."
Attorney general had argued that the case be handed over
to CBI as it called for investigations in three states that of
Gujarat, Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh in the matter, Prasad
Calling the investigations made by CBI in the case as
`malafide`, Prasad said he has got a copy of the chargesheet
filed in the case which discussed the role of police officers
from Gujarat and Rajasthan but did not mention about Andhra
"Let the CBI explain when the Attorney General makes a
prayer before the Supreme Court that the role of police of all
the three states is to be investigated, then why the
chargesheet is silent about the role of AP police officers,"
Prasad asked and added that it is because there is a Congress
government in AP.
Meanwhile, Prasad denied reports that the BJP has reached
any deal with the government over the Sohrabuddin case with
Gujarat`s former minister of state Amit Shah was recently
arrested by the CBI in connection with the Sohrabuddin fake
encounter case, which involves police personnel of three
states of Gujarat, Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh.
Responding to a query whether Narendra Modi would
campaign in the forthcoming elections in Bihar, he said the
campaign committee of the party would decide the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi