`Govt pleaded with SC to hand over Sohrabuddin case to CBI`
Ahmedabad: Although the union government has
maintained that the CBI was investigating into Sohrabuddin
fake encounter case at the instance of the Supreme Court, BJP on Saturday said the demand for handing over the case to CBI came
from the Government itself.
Speaking to reporters here today, BJP`s national
spokesperson Ravishankar Prasad said, "The attorney general
had raised the demand for a CBI investigation in the case".
He quoted from an apex court judgement which reads "When
the matter came up for hearing before this court on May 17,
2007, the Attorney General of India submitted before us that
it was a fit case where this court should pass an order
directing for CBI investigation."
Attorney general had argued that the case be handed over
to CBI as it called for investigations in three states that of
Gujarat, Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh in the matter, Prasad
Calling the investigations made by CBI in the case as
`malafide`, Prasad said he has got a copy of the chargesheet
filed in the case which discussed the role of police officers
from Gujarat and Rajasthan but did not mention about Andhra
"Let the CBI explain when the Attorney General makes a
prayer before the Supreme Court that the role of police of all
the three states is to be investigated, then why the
chargesheet is silent about the role of AP police officers,"
Prasad asked and added that it is because there is a Congress
government in AP.
Meanwhile, Prasad denied reports that the BJP has reached
any deal with the government over the Sohrabuddin case with
Gujarat`s former minister of state Amit Shah was recently
arrested by the CBI in connection with the Sohrabuddin fake
encounter case, which involves police personnel of three
states of Gujarat, Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh.
Responding to a query whether Narendra Modi would
campaign in the forthcoming elections in Bihar, he said the
campaign committee of the party would decide the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack