Guj HC stays order rejecting Sanjeev Bhatt`s plea
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court Monday stayed its own order rejecting suspended IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt`s plea to set aside criminal procedure initiated against him in a 1990 custodial death case.
After the pronouncement of the order rejecting the petition on Friday, Bhatt`s advocate I H Syed requested for a stay on it for four weeks to enable him to challenge it in the Supreme Court.
Today, after hearing the arguments from all parties in the case, Justice R H Shukla directed to stay his order for three weeks.
"As the result of the stay, all the proceedings against Bhatt will also be stayed till August 13, which were likely to be initiated in Jamnagar sessions court," Syed said.
Jamnagar sessions court was slated to frame charges against all the accused, including Bhatt, in the case of death of one - Prabhudas Vaishnani who allegedly succumbed to injuries sustained by him in police custody on the night of October 30, 1990.
As an assistant superintendent of police in Jamnagar in October 1990, Bhatt had detained many BJP workers at Jamkhabhalia, who were protesting the arrest of L K Advani after his `rath yatra` was stopped. Prabhudas Vaishnani was one of those who were detained.
He later died in police custody and Prabhudas`s brother Amrutlal Vaishnani had lodged a case against Bhatt and other policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up