Gujarat Assembly Elections 2012: Narendra Modi to fight election from Maninagar constituency
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Monday indicated he will seek re-election from Maninagar Assembly constituency and asked BJP workers to work hard to ensure he wins the seat with a record margin.
"Let`s have a competition between you (workers) and me. Let`s see who comes out on top - you get me elected with maximum margin here or I get maximum seats out of 182 in the state. You worry only about one and I will worry about all other constituencies," he said at a gathering of party workers in his constituency.
In 2007 election, Modi had won Maninagar, which falls in Ahmedabad city, by around 75,000 votes defeating Dinsha Patel of Congress.
BJP is yet to declare its list of candidates for the assembly election to be held on December 13 and 17.
At the meet, Modi hit out at Congress and the party-led UPA government at the Centre.
"Congress has created a dirty tricks department whose main work is to indulge in character assassination, publish dirty literature about opponents and spread dirt during elections," the BJP stalwart alleged.
"Congress has allotted budget running into crores to this department, which is part of a conspiracy to blacken democracy. This might give them some sadistic pleasure but it will tarnish the democratic tradition of Gujarat."
"They were boasting about overthrowing my government by using Article 356 (President`s Rule); what happened to it? I am standing right here, my government is here. They just want to crush Gujarat," Modi said.
"We enacted a law (Gujarat Control of Organised Crime Act) to protect the people from terrorism. Our assembly passed it five times but Delhi rejected it. Should we have no right to protect our people? Should we let people die of terrorism?" the Chief Minister asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border