Gujarat elections 2012: Finally, it`s Narendra Modi vs Rahul Gandhi
Jamnagar/Ahmedabad: Rahul Gandhi and Chief Minister Narendra Modi sparred on Tuesday after the Congress leader invoked Mahatma Gandhi, as the Gujarat war heats up on the last day of campaigning for the first phase of the assembly elections.
The AICC general secretary`s attendance in Lok Sabha was also questioned by Modi after he lamented the short duration of Assembly sessions in Gujarat.
"If I have any `guru` in politics, then he is Gandhiji," Rahul said at a rally in Jamnagar, making his maiden appearance in the Gujarat poll campaign.
"Gandhiji had one simple rule that voice of not only every Indian, but for that matter voice of everyone in the world should be heard, whether that person is poor or rich, short or long. That person may be of any region, religion or caste, his voice should be respected," the AICC general secretary said.
Modi wasted little time in taking on Rahul after the Congress leader`s comments on Gandhi.
"If Rahul Baba is walking on Gandhiji`s path, why is Bapu`s 1 wish incomplete - to disband Congress after Independence?," the BJP leader said on microblogging site Twitter.
The two-phase election is being held on December 13 and 17. Counting of votes will be taken up on December 20.
The Chief Minister also referred to Rahul`s remarks on Mahatma Gandhi at his rallies.
"Rahul Baba said he was walking on Gandhiji`s path but if he is actually walking on it, then one wish of Mahatma Gandhi would not have been left incomplete, which was to disband the Congress after Independence," he said.
On another issue, the Congress leader claimed that even opposition`s voice is curbed in Gujarat as the Assembly sits for just 25 days in a year and very often opposition leaders are "thrown" out of the House.
"For how many days does the Assembly session take place in Gujarat? For 25 days in a year. You say your vote is your voice and Assembly session takes place for 25 days in a year.
"Even during those days, Opposition leaders are thrown out because the state government fears they will ask tough questions," he alleged.
Countering the Congress leader, Modi tweeted, "Mr Rahul Gandhi talks of respect for Vidhan Sabha but his own attendance in Lok Sabha between May 2011-May 2012 was 24 out of 85 sittings."
Reacting to Rahul`s allegations that the state legislative assembly did business only for 25 days in a year, Modi, the Maninagar MLA said at a rally, "From May 2011 to May 2012, Rahul Gandhi`s attendance in the Lok Sabha was 24 out of 85 sittings. From 2010 to 2011, it was 19 out of 72 sittings!"
"If he had respect for the Parliament, he would go for all sittings!" he said.
If Rahul Gandhi had so much love for the Vidhan Sabha, he should know that in Gujarat, the Assembly has debated issues even for days on end but the attitude of the Congress has not been positive, Modi said.
"We discuss issues for many days and Bills are passed. But sadly Congress does not respect Vidhan Sabha also," he said.
"After detailed discussions in the Vidhan Sabha, the files are sent to the Raj Bhavan for Governor`s signature," Modi said, adding that Raj Bhavan has been "converted to Congress Bhavan" by the Congress party.
At another rally, Modi said, "Today Rahul Gandhi came and said he had a close relation with Mahatma Gandhi. But he was not even born then."
On Rahul`s narration of Mahatma Gandhi sleeping on the floor in Anand Bhawan in Allahabad, Modi said, "It was Mahatma Gandhi`s greatness and his affection towards Nehru that he slept on the floor but the real issue is that Motilal Nehru slept on the bed when his son was in jail. You are descendants of Motilal."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes