Gujarat government rejects DG Vanzara’s resignation
Zee Media Bureau
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat government on Wednesday rejected the resignation submitted by IPS officer DG Vanzara, who is under custody for the last seven years for involvement in alleged fake encounter cases.
The Gujarat Cabinet said that Vanzara’s resignation cannot be accepted till the cases against him are not closed.
A 1987-batch IPS officer, Vanzara is the second officer after GL Singhal to resign citing neglect by the state government. Singal, an accused in the Ishrat Jahan case, had later helped in the probe.
Besides Vanzara and Singhal, three other senior police officers had taken on the Narendra Modi government in the recent past.
While former ADGP RB Sreekumar had submitted a damaging report on the 2002 Gujarat riots, DIG Rahul Sharma had passed on call records to the Nanavati Commission probing the post-Godhra riots in 2002 without informing the state administration. He was later put under suspension.
Another high-profile case is that of Sanjiv Bhatt who had taken on Narendra Modi and alleged before the Supreme Court that the Gujarat CM had told senior cops to allow “Hindus to vent anger against Muslims”.
The 10-page letter written by Vanzara in which he accused the Modi government of betraying the trust of loyal officers for political gains and to save its own skin from the CBI.
He had targeted former junior home minister of Gujarat, Amit Shah, of betrayal and treachery. Chiding Narendra Modi, Vanzara wrote that since loyal officers were not protected, he was not under no one-sided obligation to protect the “traitors” sitting in the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister