Gujarat HC to hear three election petitions
Ahmedabad: Election of two BJP MLAs and a Congress legislation has been challenged before the Gujarat High Court.
Election of Congress`s Shailesh Parmar from Danilimda seat in Ahmedabad (reserved for SC) has been challenged by rival candidate Girishchandra Parmar, who had switched to BJP just before the polls. "We have demanded disqualification of Shailesh Parmar on the grounds that he provided illegal caste certificate to the Election Commission," said advocate C B Upadhyay, representing Girish Parmar.
"Shailesh Parmar`s 2009 caste certificate was challenged, the matter is still pending before the high court, but he obtained new certificate in 2012 and submitted it. This is illegal," the petition says.
Congress candidate Amrsi Vasava from Dediyapada in Narmada district has challenged the election of BJP`s Motilal Vasava. The petition, filed through advocate Bela Prajapati, contends that BJP candidate`s election expenditure exceeded the prescribed limit of Rs 16 lakh.
The third petition, filed by an independent candidate Hasmukh Patel, has challenged the election of BJP`s Shankar Chaudhary from Vav, Banaskantha district.
Hearing is expected soon.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Uttarakhand turns to trekking to boost tourist footfalls
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Fundamental question is 'who took the bribe', stresses Manohar Parrikar
- Kanhaiya Kumar is in Patna - know why
- WATCH: RPS vs GL - When Dwayne Bravo tried to 'intimidate' Mahendra Singh Dhoni during Match 25
- Fourteen killed in Nairobi floods and building collapse