Heavy downpour damages Saani dam gate
Jamnagar: Heavy rains lashed Saurashtra and Kutch region of Gujarat in the last 24 hours, and a sluice gate of Saani dam in Jamnagar district has been damaged resulting in leakage from the dam, officials said.
The district authorities have sounded an alert in eight villages following the incident, they said.
"A ring in one of the sluice gates of Saani dam has got ejected, creating a gap. We are taking all precautions in routine course until it gets repaired," District Collector
Sandeep Kumar said.
The dam on Saani river was repaired this year at a cost of Rs 1 crore, official sources said, adding that following the incident, the Irrigation Department has been asked to repair the gate on priority.
When two officials of the Irrigation Department reached the dam site to take stock of the situation, an irate mob damaged the vehicle, in which, the officials came. The two were taken to a safe place, police said.
Meanwhile, moderate to heavy rains today lashed Saurashtra and Kutch region, while the Arabian Sea turned stormy, compelling the fishermen to return to coastal towns like Veraval, Jaffarabad and Porbander.
Kalyanpur town of Jamnagar district has received 250 mm rainfall in the past 24 hours, while Una town of Junagadh district recorded 175 mm rainfall, MET officials said.
While Arabian sea turned stormy and high tide up to seven metre created panic among the fishermen in the sea, sources in National Fish Forum said.
"The fishermen have started coming back and nearly 150 boats have returned safely so far," they said.
Six boats were trapped in the stormy sea and efforts were on to bring them back to safety, sources added.
Kutch, another coastal district of the state also received heavy rains in the last 24 hours, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day