HIV-infected kids can get free treatment: Guj govt
Ahmedabad: The state government has informed
the Gujarat High Court that 21 thalassemia-affected kids from
Junagadh, who allegedly contracted HIV during blood
transfusions, could get free treatment in four state-run
The statement was made before the division bench of
acting Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice J B
The application for free treatment had been made by
advocate Girish Das during the hearing on public interest
litigations seeking compensation for the children`s families
and punishment for the guilty.
The state government informed the court it was willing to
provide free medical treatment to the children at Junagadh
Civil Hospital, G G Hospital in Jamnagar, PDU General Hospital
in Rajkot and Ahmedabad Civil Hospital.
The Court observed that it was a fair decision, and
adjourned the case till February 9.
Twenty-three thalassemic children tested positive for
HIV during blood tests at Junagadh civil hospital last year.
Das`s PIL seeks compensation for their families, and fixing of
responsibility for the horrific negligence which led to
Two of the children died in the meantime.
Das had submitted that the kids were suffering from major
aliments due to the cold winter weather in the Junagadh
region. Moreover, their condition had worsened because of low
immunity level, so they needed special treatment.
Apart from Das, parents of some victim children too have
filed petition seeking action against those responsible for
negligence during the transfusions.
An FIR was filed with Junagadh police last December on
the High Court`s order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured