HIV-infected kids can get free treatment: Guj govt
Ahmedabad: The state government has informed
the Gujarat High Court that 21 thalassemia-affected kids from
Junagadh, who allegedly contracted HIV during blood
transfusions, could get free treatment in four state-run
The statement was made before the division bench of
acting Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice J B
The application for free treatment had been made by
advocate Girish Das during the hearing on public interest
litigations seeking compensation for the children`s families
and punishment for the guilty.
The state government informed the court it was willing to
provide free medical treatment to the children at Junagadh
Civil Hospital, G G Hospital in Jamnagar, PDU General Hospital
in Rajkot and Ahmedabad Civil Hospital.
The Court observed that it was a fair decision, and
adjourned the case till February 9.
Twenty-three thalassemic children tested positive for
HIV during blood tests at Junagadh civil hospital last year.
Das`s PIL seeks compensation for their families, and fixing of
responsibility for the horrific negligence which led to
Two of the children died in the meantime.
Das had submitted that the kids were suffering from major
aliments due to the cold winter weather in the Junagadh
region. Moreover, their condition had worsened because of low
immunity level, so they needed special treatment.
Apart from Das, parents of some victim children too have
filed petition seeking action against those responsible for
negligence during the transfusions.
An FIR was filed with Junagadh police last December on
the High Court`s order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic