Ishrat case: Court reserves order on Vanzara plea seeking charge sheet copy
Ahmedabad: A special court on Tuesday reserved its order on suspended Gujarat IPS officer DG Vanzara`s plea seeking a copy of the supplementary charge sheet filed by CBI in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate HS Khutwad, presiding over the CBI court, reserved his ruling after hearing the arguments of counsel of Vanzara, one of the accused in the case who is currently in jail.
Vanzara`s counsel VD Gajjar said even after 20 days of filing of the charge sheet it has not been taken on record by the court.
"Under Section 206 of the Criminal Procedure Code, it is magistrate`s duty to provide a copy of charge sheet to the accused. But as you have not taken the charge sheet on record, its copy has not been given to us even after 20 days," Gajjar contended. He had sought the copy on February 12.
Khutwad had earlier told Gajjar the charge sheet has not yet been verified and hence, the copy could not be given.
Gajjar had told the court since cognisance has already been taken against Vanzara (as he was made an accused in the first charge sheet), his client must get a copy to make his case for bail strong.
Ishrat (19), a Mumbai-based college student, was killed in the encounter, termed as fake by CBI, along with her friend Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, and two others, believed to be Pakistani nationals, on June 15, 2004 near here by a team of Gujarat Police on suspicion they were terrorists.
On February 6, CBI had filed the supplementary charge sheet in which it named Rajinder Kumar, Joint Director of IB posted in Gujarat at the time of the encounter, as a key conspirator in the episode.
Besides Kumar (who retired last year), those named in the charge sheet are serving IB officers T Mittal, MK Sinha and Rajiv Wankhede, who have been booked for criminal conspiracy, wrongful confinement, kidnapping and wrongful concealment, besides under various sections of the Arms Act.
In its first charge sheet last year, the CBI had named IPS officer GL Singhal, suspended IPS officers PP Pandey, Tarun Barot and NK Amin besides Vanzara.
The agency had also named retired DSP JG Parmar and Commando Anaju Chaudhary. The Gujarat policemen were charged with murder and criminal conspiracy, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’