Jundal remanded in Crime Branch custody
Ahmedabad: A local court in Gujarat on Tuesday remanded LeT operative and key 26/11 handler Abu Jundal in one-day Crime Branch custody for his alleged involvement in spreading terror to avenge 2002 post-Godhra riots.
After the expiry of his remand yesterday, the Crime Branch today produced Jundal before the court of metropolitan magistrate BJ Ganatra and sought his remand for 14 days in an alleged conspiracy that was aimed at taking revenge of the 2002 riots by spreading terror in the state.
While seeking Jundal`s remand, the public prosecutor argued that since he was connected with international terrorist outfits, his custodial interrogation was required to find out who were the other conspirators.
Opposing the contention, Jundal`s counsel Ilyas Pathan said the grounds on which crime branch was seeking his custodial interrogation were similar to those put forward by ATS and that the agency had already interrogated Jundal.
The LeT operative was on October 21 given in the ATS custody after he was brought from Tihar Jail on transit remand by DIG Manoj Shashidhar.
Four persons, including including madrassa teacher Kari Mufidul Islam Shaikh from Tadkeshwar in Bharuch district, were arrested in 2004 in connection with the case in which Crime Branch was given Jundal`s custody today.
They all were charged for spreading terror after police allegedly recovered six CDs from Shaikh`s house which contained descriptions of battles `Jan-e-Ahad and Jang-e-Badar`, besides the footage of 2002 post-Godhra riots.
However, a sessions court here had acquitted them in 2006 with observation that there was no evidence against them to establish their involvement in terrorist activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?