Mehsana riot: Arrest warrant issued against accused
Ahmedabad: The Mehsana additional sessions court Tuesday issued an arrest warrant against an accused in the Dipda Darwaja massacre case in which 11 people were butchered during the 2001 riots.
Mehsana Additional Session Judge S.C. Srivastav ordered a nonbailable arrest warrant against accused Viral Natwarlal Patel. All 85 accused in the riot case were summoned Tuesday as the court wanted to record their statements on two witnesses` testimonies. Two of the accused were reported absent from the proceedings.
Lawyer Govind Bhrambhatt presented a medical certificate for one absent accused. In Patel`s case, the lawyer told the court that he is absconding since the last six months.
The lawyer also informed court that Patel`s family was approached but they too are unaware of his whereabouts.
In the post-Godhra riots, 11 people were butchered in the Dipda Darwaja area of Visnagar town in Mehsana district. The remains of two people were found from the site, while the other nine bodies were thrown in a village tank two km away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday