Mehsana riot: Arrest warrant issued against accused
Ahmedabad: The Mehsana additional sessions court Tuesday issued an arrest warrant against an accused in the Dipda Darwaja massacre case in which 11 people were butchered during the 2001 riots.
Mehsana Additional Session Judge S.C. Srivastav ordered a nonbailable arrest warrant against accused Viral Natwarlal Patel. All 85 accused in the riot case were summoned Tuesday as the court wanted to record their statements on two witnesses` testimonies. Two of the accused were reported absent from the proceedings.
Lawyer Govind Bhrambhatt presented a medical certificate for one absent accused. In Patel`s case, the lawyer told the court that he is absconding since the last six months.
The lawyer also informed court that Patel`s family was approached but they too are unaware of his whereabouts.
In the post-Godhra riots, 11 people were butchered in the Dipda Darwaja area of Visnagar town in Mehsana district. The remains of two people were found from the site, while the other nine bodies were thrown in a village tank two km away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY