Mehsana riot: Arrest warrant issued against accused
Ahmedabad: The Mehsana additional sessions court Tuesday issued an arrest warrant against an accused in the Dipda Darwaja massacre case in which 11 people were butchered during the 2001 riots.
Mehsana Additional Session Judge S.C. Srivastav ordered a nonbailable arrest warrant against accused Viral Natwarlal Patel. All 85 accused in the riot case were summoned Tuesday as the court wanted to record their statements on two witnesses` testimonies. Two of the accused were reported absent from the proceedings.
Lawyer Govind Bhrambhatt presented a medical certificate for one absent accused. In Patel`s case, the lawyer told the court that he is absconding since the last six months.
The lawyer also informed court that Patel`s family was approached but they too are unaware of his whereabouts.
In the post-Godhra riots, 11 people were butchered in the Dipda Darwaja area of Visnagar town in Mehsana district. The remains of two people were found from the site, while the other nine bodies were thrown in a village tank two km away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Anil Kumble: It's a great honour to be back in Indian dressing room in different role
- India vs Zimbabwe PHOTO: When MS Dhoni shared red-eye selfie on Facebook
- M.M. Khan murder: Manish Sisodia accuses hotelier of working under political patronage
- Experts for central epidemiological database to deal with bio-terrorism
- Cleric suspended after selfies with Pakistan`s `Kim Kardashian`