Mehsana riot: Arrest warrant issued against accused
Ahmedabad: The Mehsana additional sessions court Tuesday issued an arrest warrant against an accused in the Dipda Darwaja massacre case in which 11 people were butchered during the 2001 riots.
Mehsana Additional Session Judge S.C. Srivastav ordered a nonbailable arrest warrant against accused Viral Natwarlal Patel. All 85 accused in the riot case were summoned Tuesday as the court wanted to record their statements on two witnesses` testimonies. Two of the accused were reported absent from the proceedings.
Lawyer Govind Bhrambhatt presented a medical certificate for one absent accused. In Patel`s case, the lawyer told the court that he is absconding since the last six months.
The lawyer also informed court that Patel`s family was approached but they too are unaware of his whereabouts.
In the post-Godhra riots, 11 people were butchered in the Dipda Darwaja area of Visnagar town in Mehsana district. The remains of two people were found from the site, while the other nine bodies were thrown in a village tank two km away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured