Mehsana riot: Arrest warrant issued against accused
Ahmedabad: The Mehsana additional sessions court Tuesday issued an arrest warrant against an accused in the Dipda Darwaja massacre case in which 11 people were butchered during the 2001 riots.
Mehsana Additional Session Judge S.C. Srivastav ordered a nonbailable arrest warrant against accused Viral Natwarlal Patel. All 85 accused in the riot case were summoned Tuesday as the court wanted to record their statements on two witnesses` testimonies. Two of the accused were reported absent from the proceedings.
Lawyer Govind Bhrambhatt presented a medical certificate for one absent accused. In Patel`s case, the lawyer told the court that he is absconding since the last six months.
The lawyer also informed court that Patel`s family was approached but they too are unaware of his whereabouts.
In the post-Godhra riots, 11 people were butchered in the Dipda Darwaja area of Visnagar town in Mehsana district. The remains of two people were found from the site, while the other nine bodies were thrown in a village tank two km away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family