Modi`s projection as PM candidate to help Congress: Dalwai
New Delhi: A Congress MP suggested on Friday that the projection of Gujarat Chief Minister as the PM candidate would be a godsend for the ruling party at the Centre.
"If BJP declares Modi as its PM candidate, it will bring Muslims, dalits and the weaker sections to Congress in large numbers and so also those who have been fed up with Hindutva politics", Hussain Dalwai, a Rajya Sabha member from Maharashtra, told PTI.
Dalwai`s claimed Modi`s projection would polarise the political scenario and the worst sufferers would be the regional parties which would lose relevance as their support base like Muslims and dalits, would shift base.
He claimed this was because Modi`s "communal" image would bring these sections sizably towards Congress owing to the realisation that the party alone would be able to uphold secularism at the national level due to its pan-India character.
Seeking to puncture the development plank of Modi, Hussein alleged farmers have suffered in Gujarat while industralists have prospered.
Dalwai`s remarks came on a day when the BJP began a three-day conclave here and Modi`s rising stock was visible when President Rajnath Singh gave him a special welcome at the national executive and noted that even the European Union is recognising his achievements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video