‘Nanavati Commission expected to submit report by June 30’
Gandhinagar: The Nanavati Commission, which is probing the post-Godhra riots cases, is expected to submit its report by June 30, Minister of State for Home Amit Shah on Friday said.
Replying to a question by Congress MLA Gyasaudin Sheikh in the Gujarat Assembly, he said the Nanavati Commission has been given 13 extensions.
Shah said the scope of the Commission was expanded by the state government in order to examine the role of ministers including the chief minister.
Senior Congress leader Arjun Modhvaida, who was taking part in the discussion, wanted to know who all were summoned by the Commission for questioning.
Shah said whoever has been summoned by the Commission for the purpose of inquiry has deposed before it and complied with the process of inquiry.
The Nanavati Commission has not called Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for questioning.
The Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team has summoned Modi for questioning in connection with the Gulburg Society riot case on March 21.
Shah said the latest deadline for the commission is June 30 and the commission will hopefully submit the report by that date.
The Commission has already submitted the Part I of the report dealing with the burning of the S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express in Godhra in which 59 karsevaks had died, Shah said.
The second part of the report of the commission will deal with the subsequent events that took place in 2002, the minister said.
After the burning of the train coach, widespread communal violence had spread in the city killing over 1200 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’