Narayan Sai charge-sheeted in bribery case by Surat police
Surat: The Surat police filed a charge-sheet in a special court here on Monday against Narayan Sai and eight others, charging them under the Prevention of Corruption Act, for allegedly conspiring to bribe police and judicial officials to weaken a rape case lodged against him.
The charge-sheet was filed today in the court of Principal District and Sessions Judge IC Shah. The police has named nine persons, including Sai and sub-inspector CK Kumbhani, as accused.
They have been charged under Sections 7, 8, 9, 11, 12 and 13 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The others who have been charged in the case include Sai`s followers like Uday Sanghani, builder Ketan Patel and others.
The police has named three others, who are absconding, but did not identify them as accused, in the charge-sheet.
Narayan Sai, the 42-year-old son of Asaram, has been arrested for repeatedly sexually assaulting one of the two Surat-based sisters, who was an inmate of his ashram here, between 2002 and 2005.
It was during Sai`s remand period (in connection with the rape case) that the city crime branch unearthed a plan to bribe cops, doctors and even judicial officers to dilute the rape case against him.
The police had arrested eight persons, including Kumbhani, and seized Rs 5 crore in cash from various persons.
Narayan Sai was arrested from the Delhi-Haryana border in December 2013, after evading law for nearly two months following registration of the rape case against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family