Narayan Sai charge-sheeted in bribery case by Surat police
Surat: The Surat police filed a charge-sheet in a special court here on Monday against Narayan Sai and eight others, charging them under the Prevention of Corruption Act, for allegedly conspiring to bribe police and judicial officials to weaken a rape case lodged against him.
The charge-sheet was filed today in the court of Principal District and Sessions Judge IC Shah. The police has named nine persons, including Sai and sub-inspector CK Kumbhani, as accused.
They have been charged under Sections 7, 8, 9, 11, 12 and 13 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The others who have been charged in the case include Sai`s followers like Uday Sanghani, builder Ketan Patel and others.
The police has named three others, who are absconding, but did not identify them as accused, in the charge-sheet.
Narayan Sai, the 42-year-old son of Asaram, has been arrested for repeatedly sexually assaulting one of the two Surat-based sisters, who was an inmate of his ashram here, between 2002 and 2005.
It was during Sai`s remand period (in connection with the rape case) that the city crime branch unearthed a plan to bribe cops, doctors and even judicial officers to dilute the rape case against him.
The police had arrested eight persons, including Kumbhani, and seized Rs 5 crore in cash from various persons.
Narayan Sai was arrested from the Delhi-Haryana border in December 2013, after evading law for nearly two months following registration of the rape case against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi