‘Need common judicial framework to combat terror’
Gandhinagar: Gujarat Chief Minister
Narendra Modi on Saturday called for a consensus amongst different
countries to create a common judicial framework for combating
terrorism via sea-route as well as piracy.
"The success in exploiting the maritime potential will
depend upon nation`s commitment and responses. However, all
this cannot happen without international commitment and
unanimity for safety and security," Modi said.
"For this purpose, a sound international legal framework
and comprehensive policy regime are essential. The legal
framework must balance the needs, concerns and interests of
all stakeholders," he said while inaugurating the Global
Maritime Security and Anti-Piracy Conference-2011 here.
India has a central position in the Indian Ocean. It has
extensive interest in maritime and coastal activities in Asia
pacific, Modi said.
"The vast size and largely unregulated nature of the
waterways have made the maritime environment attractive for
trans-national violence. Both piracy and sea borne terrorism
have become more common in last few decades," he said.
This has further gone up due to global proliferation of
small arms, Modi said.
Several terrorist groups have developed significant
capabilities to conduct attack at sea, under the sea and more
recently from the sea, he said.
These terrorist groups are equipped with modern
navigational equipments and communication technology. They
have developed innovative ways to the challenge of security
and maritime forces, Modi said.
Modi said, global conference on terrorism and piracy on
the third anniversary of 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks is
significant to combat attacks from seaside on Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!