Newly-formed Gujarat Assembly`s first session on Jan 23
Ahmedabad: Newly-elected MLAs in Gujarat will take oath on January 22 and the newly-constituted state Assembly will have its first session the next day when the new Speaker will be elected.
"On January 22, the newly-elected representatives will take oath as the members of the House and the first session of the Assembly will begin on January 23," said Secretary of the state Assembly D M Patel while talking to PTI today.
Patel said that recently-appointed Pro-tem Speaker Vajubhai Vala had today resigned from his post and in his place MLA from Bhuj Neema Acharya has been appointed as new Pro-tem speaker.
Vala, the former state Finance minister and one of BJP`s most senior MLAs, has a unique record of presenting the state budget for 18 times.
On the first day of the Assembly session, the House will also elect the new Speaker, following which the state Governor Kamla Beniwal will address the House.
180 members of the 182-member House will take oath as two seats are vacant after the declaration of results on December 20, 2012.
Congress MLA from Morva Hadaf, Panchmahal district, Savita Khant had passed away and another Congress MLA from Limbadi Soma Patel has resigned to retain his Lok Sabha seat.
BJP has won 115 seats in this Assembly Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards
- French Open champ Garbine Muguruza withdraws from Montreal
- Olympics 2016: More Russians banned in mounting Rio toll
- Throwback! Diana Penty’s Italian vacation pics will inspire you to visit the country
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci