PIL challenges Sonia`s photos in Union Govt ads
Ahmedabad: A PIL has been filed in the Gujarat High Court seeking a prohibition order on Central government`s advertisements carrying photos of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, who does not hold any constitutional position.
Dhaval Shah, a resident of the city through this PIL, has sought court`s directions to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and the Ministry of Statistics and Programme implementation to stop publication and withdrawal of advertisements being published and telecast in the state ahead of the elections.
The said advertisements, showing Sonia`s photographs are titled as "Twenty Point Programme and Central Sector Projects Contributing to Gujarat`s Overall Development".
The petitioner has claimed that a president or chairman of any national/regional party be it Congress, Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) or any other political party has no constitutional position.
"In spite of the aforesaid fact, in every publication of the Central Government, the photographs of Sonia Gandhi are prominently projected. These photographs are advertised from the funds of Central Government," reads the petition which is likely to be heard soon by the court.
"The action of the Council of Ministers headed by Prime Minister in projecting the achievements of Government with the photograph of other person who has no constitutional position, who was neither Prime Minister, nor a Cabinet Minister nor the President of India, cannot be permitted to be continued," a petition filed yesterday through advocate Vijay Patel, who was a former BJP MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez