PIL challenges Sonia`s photos in Union Govt ads
Ahmedabad: A PIL has been filed in the Gujarat High Court seeking a prohibition order on Central government`s advertisements carrying photos of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, who does not hold any constitutional position.
Dhaval Shah, a resident of the city through this PIL, has sought court`s directions to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and the Ministry of Statistics and Programme implementation to stop publication and withdrawal of advertisements being published and telecast in the state ahead of the elections.
The said advertisements, showing Sonia`s photographs are titled as "Twenty Point Programme and Central Sector Projects Contributing to Gujarat`s Overall Development".
The petitioner has claimed that a president or chairman of any national/regional party be it Congress, Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) or any other political party has no constitutional position.
"In spite of the aforesaid fact, in every publication of the Central Government, the photographs of Sonia Gandhi are prominently projected. These photographs are advertised from the funds of Central Government," reads the petition which is likely to be heard soon by the court.
"The action of the Council of Ministers headed by Prime Minister in projecting the achievements of Government with the photograph of other person who has no constitutional position, who was neither Prime Minister, nor a Cabinet Minister nor the President of India, cannot be permitted to be continued," a petition filed yesterday through advocate Vijay Patel, who was a former BJP MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?