Sankranti celebrated in Gujarat, one dead in kite-flying mishap
Ahmedabad: A youth died here after his throat slit from the string of a kite being flown on the occasion of Makar Sankranti on Monday.
The incident took place while he was passing on his two-wheeler in Krishnanagar area, when the kite`s string entwined around his neck, civil hospital officials said.
Many other cases of injuries related to Uttarayan celebrations were also reported from various parts of the city.
"In Ahmedabad city, till 7 pm today, we attended calls for 115 road accidents, 32 cases of falling down from the rooftops and 42 cases of thread cuts," Director of 108 Emergency Services Hiren Bhatt said.
Till afternoon, the weather (wind) was not favourable so kites began flying only in the second half of the day with screams of `kai po chhe`.
Wearing trendy attire and accompanied by loud music, children alongwith their families were seen on rooftops enjoying the kite-flying season.
A menu of the traditional `undhiyu` (multi-vegetable cuisine) and jalebi was also to be savoured on the occasion.
On Makar Sankranti, the sun starts moving northwards, marking the decline of the winter season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!