Sarkhej Roza needs immediate restoration: Minister
Ahmedabad: Expressing concern over the dilapidated condition of the historical Sarkhej Roza mosque near here, Union Minister of State for Tourism Sultan Ahmed on Tuesday said there was an immediate need for its restoration.
"It can be seen that this old monument of historical significance is crumbling fast. It needs immediate attention and if not restored on priority, it will be a big loss to heritage," he said after visiting the monument.
Ahmed also enquired about the measures taken for the upkeep of this monument from Archaeological Survey of India officials.
He was accompanied by officials of ASI when he visited the protected monument located in village Makraba near here.
The mosque is known as `Ahmedabad`s Acropolis`, after 20th century architect Le Corbusier`s famous comparison of this mosque`s design to the Acropolis of Athens.
Although there are many rozas across Gujarat, the Sarkhej Roza is the most revered. It was once a prominent centre of Sufi culture in the country, where influential Sufi saint Ganj Baksh lived.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur