Sarkhej Roza needs immediate restoration: Minister
Ahmedabad: Expressing concern over the dilapidated condition of the historical Sarkhej Roza mosque near here, Union Minister of State for Tourism Sultan Ahmed on Tuesday said there was an immediate need for its restoration.
"It can be seen that this old monument of historical significance is crumbling fast. It needs immediate attention and if not restored on priority, it will be a big loss to heritage," he said after visiting the monument.
Ahmed also enquired about the measures taken for the upkeep of this monument from Archaeological Survey of India officials.
He was accompanied by officials of ASI when he visited the protected monument located in village Makraba near here.
The mosque is known as `Ahmedabad`s Acropolis`, after 20th century architect Le Corbusier`s famous comparison of this mosque`s design to the Acropolis of Athens.
Although there are many rozas across Gujarat, the Sarkhej Roza is the most revered. It was once a prominent centre of Sufi culture in the country, where influential Sufi saint Ganj Baksh lived.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees