Team Anna welcomes Gujarat HC criticising Modi
New Delhi: In an apparent bid to fight the pro-BJP tag, Team Anna on Thursday welcomed the Gujarat High Court judgment rapping Chief Minister Narendra Modi for "stonewalling" appointment of the Lokayukta.
"It is unfortunate that the Gujarat Government did not
appoint a Lokayukta for so long and the government is still
resisting the appointment of a Lokayukta who has been selected
by the Chief Justice of the High Court," the Team said in a
"It shows that the Gujarat government will be willing to
appoint a Lokayukta if it is selected by them," it said.
It said the judgment is based on the existing Gujarat
Lokayukta Act, which it felt is flawed.
"The law is weak, ineffective and the process of
appointment is non-participatory and opaque," they
However, they were in praise for Uttarakhand Chief
Minister BC Khanduri for enacting a "very strong" Lokayukta
law. Incidentally, Team Anna will be in Uttarakhand next week
to "educate" people on the Lokpal bill and stands of various
parties ahead of the Assembly polls there.
"Rather than resist the appointment of the new Lokayukta,
it would be useful if Gujarat government enacted a new
Lokayukta Act on the lines of Uttarakhand Lokayukta Act," it
Anna Hazare had landed in controversy earlier for
praising Modi and had to retract it later.
Team Anna also faced criticism for its anti-Congress
stand during its campaign for a strong Lokpal Bill and
detractors had tried to classify them as pro-BJP.
As criticism mounted and Hazare`s Mumbai protest flopped,
the Team decided to tone down their attacks on Congress and
not to target any single party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!