Team Anna welcomes Gujarat HC criticising Modi
New Delhi: In an apparent bid to fight the pro-BJP tag, Team Anna on Thursday welcomed the Gujarat High Court judgment rapping Chief Minister Narendra Modi for "stonewalling" appointment of the Lokayukta.
"It is unfortunate that the Gujarat Government did not
appoint a Lokayukta for so long and the government is still
resisting the appointment of a Lokayukta who has been selected
by the Chief Justice of the High Court," the Team said in a
"It shows that the Gujarat government will be willing to
appoint a Lokayukta if it is selected by them," it said.
It said the judgment is based on the existing Gujarat
Lokayukta Act, which it felt is flawed.
"The law is weak, ineffective and the process of
appointment is non-participatory and opaque," they
However, they were in praise for Uttarakhand Chief
Minister BC Khanduri for enacting a "very strong" Lokayukta
law. Incidentally, Team Anna will be in Uttarakhand next week
to "educate" people on the Lokpal bill and stands of various
parties ahead of the Assembly polls there.
"Rather than resist the appointment of the new Lokayukta,
it would be useful if Gujarat government enacted a new
Lokayukta Act on the lines of Uttarakhand Lokayukta Act," it
Anna Hazare had landed in controversy earlier for
praising Modi and had to retract it later.
Team Anna also faced criticism for its anti-Congress
stand during its campaign for a strong Lokpal Bill and
detractors had tried to classify them as pro-BJP.
As criticism mounted and Hazare`s Mumbai protest flopped,
the Team decided to tone down their attacks on Congress and
not to target any single party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- Help your child grow with Ziro, a dexterous robotics kit for kids!
- Baltimore police officer acquitted in Freddie Gray death
- Bombs kill nearly 150 in Syrian government-held cities
- India, Iran, Afghanistan ink 'historic' Chabahar port agreement; PM Modi calls it 'corridor of peace, prosperity'
- Jayalalithaa sworn in as Tamil Nadu CM for sixth time, inducts 32 ministers