Team Anna welcomes Gujarat HC criticising Modi
New Delhi: In an apparent bid to fight the pro-BJP tag, Team Anna on Thursday welcomed the Gujarat High Court judgment rapping Chief Minister Narendra Modi for "stonewalling" appointment of the Lokayukta.
"It is unfortunate that the Gujarat Government did not
appoint a Lokayukta for so long and the government is still
resisting the appointment of a Lokayukta who has been selected
by the Chief Justice of the High Court," the Team said in a
"It shows that the Gujarat government will be willing to
appoint a Lokayukta if it is selected by them," it said.
It said the judgment is based on the existing Gujarat
Lokayukta Act, which it felt is flawed.
"The law is weak, ineffective and the process of
appointment is non-participatory and opaque," they
However, they were in praise for Uttarakhand Chief
Minister BC Khanduri for enacting a "very strong" Lokayukta
law. Incidentally, Team Anna will be in Uttarakhand next week
to "educate" people on the Lokpal bill and stands of various
parties ahead of the Assembly polls there.
"Rather than resist the appointment of the new Lokayukta,
it would be useful if Gujarat government enacted a new
Lokayukta Act on the lines of Uttarakhand Lokayukta Act," it
Anna Hazare had landed in controversy earlier for
praising Modi and had to retract it later.
Team Anna also faced criticism for its anti-Congress
stand during its campaign for a strong Lokpal Bill and
detractors had tried to classify them as pro-BJP.
As criticism mounted and Hazare`s Mumbai protest flopped,
the Team decided to tone down their attacks on Congress and
not to target any single party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok