What was AP police`s motive in helping Guj cops? SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday
wanted to know what could be the motive of the Andhra Pradesh
police in helping its Gujarat counterparts to carry out the
encounter killings of alleged gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh, his
wife Kauser Bi and another person.
"What was the motive of the Andhra Pradesh police to
join the conspiracy? What could have actuated their action
when it was not officially done?" a bench of Justices Tarun
Chatterjee and Aftab Alam asked Solicitor General Gopal
Subramaniam who is acting as an amicus curaie (friend of the
court) in the matter.
The bench posed the query in response to the
allegation by Subramaniam that the AP police had given
logistic support to the Gujarat police in carrying out the
The apex court`s query assumes significance since AP
is ruled by Congress and Gujarat by BJP.
Sohrabuddin, along with his wife Kauser Bi and their
friend Tulsiram Prajapati, was picked in a joint operation by
the police of Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh from a bus on their
way from Hyderabad to Sangli in Maharashtra on Novemeber 22,
2005. Besides the AP police, the role of the Rajasthan police
also figured during the investigations conducted so far into
The amicus, who sought transfer of the investigations
to an independent investigating agency like CBI or the SIT,
submitted that the AP police had a definite role in extending
help to the Gujarat police in carrying out the killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400