Gurgaon Rapid Metro to begin its run today
Gurgaon: The Gurgaon Rapid Metro, connecting the Cyber City with the Delhi Metro network, begins its run on Thursday with an aim of providing a hassle-free commute to thousands of office-goers and ease traffic congestion on NH-8.
On the eve of the opening of the 1,088 crore project, private operator IL&FS managing director Sanjiv Rai today said Rapid Metro services, connecting Sikanderpur in the Delhi Metro network with Phase 3 of DLF City, would be available from 6:05 AM to 12:20 AM at a frequency of four minutes.
Each three-coach rake would have a passenger carrying capacity of around 800, he said, adding that the firm does not have any immediate plan to reserve any compartment for women, like the Delhi Metro.
There would be a total of six stations -- Sikanderpur, Phase-2, Belvedere Towers, Cyber City, Moulsari Avenue and Phase 3 -- all falling in Phase 2 and 3 of DLF City.
Commuters can buy tickets for all destinations at any stations of the Rapid Metro and the Delhi Metro networks, Rai said, adding that they have tied up with the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) for the benefit of the passengers.
"The Rapid metro would boost connectivity of Delhi with Cyber City, the corporate hub of Gurgaon. It is expected that about 30 per cent of existing road traffic would move to the metro network and reduce travel time and traffic jams on the National Highway-8," he said.
"We hope to achieve a break-even point for the the 1,088 crore project within four to five years," Rai said.
According to a survey conducted by the firm, within a year around 90,000 passengers are expected to avail the Rapid Metro service per day.
The company does not have provision for increasing the number of coach in a rake in future, he said, adding that they could increase the frequency of trains if required.
According to the MD, the project was late by six months due to the delay in acquiring land and getting necessary approvals from various government agencies.
Though the operation would start on November 14, the formal inauguration would be done in December 2013 by some leading politicians, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- PM Narendra Modi returns from Tashkent after completing his two-day visit
- Barack Obama says UK committed to 'orderly transition' out of EU
- Islamic State captures 900 Kurdish civilians in north Syria in 3 weeks
- 33 killed in renewed clashes across Yemen
- 'North Korea now a nuclear threat to be reckoned with, Washington can expect more nuclear tests and missile launches'