Haryana Congress leader shifts onus on women for rapes
Chandigarh: Under fire for spiralling rape cases, the Haryana Congress has found itself in a middle of another row with a local party leader stating that 90 per cent rapes were "consensual" only to retract the comments later.
Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee member and Congress Hisar district spokesman Dharambir Goyat told reporters in Hisar last night that "90 per cent of rape cases are (a case of) consensual sex between the girl and boy."
He was asked about the rising rape incidents in Haryana in the past one month for which the state government has been facing criticism from opposition Indian National Lok Dal, Haryana Janhit Congress and BJP for the "worsening" law and order situation.
Goyat said, "The girl gets into an affair with a boy and she goes with him without knowing that he is of criminal mindset. It`s not the state government which is responsible for rapes, infact in most of the cases its consensual sex."
"In 90 per cent cases, the girls and women initially accompany boys on their own and are later trapped in gangrape by criminals," Goyat said, noting that Uttar Pradesh reported the highest number of rapes.
"In Haryana all the rapists have been sent to jail. The rapist has no caste or creed.In Hisar district in one year alone among the 38 rape cases, 19 were against minors and 19 against women," he said, adding in many cases Dalit boys were involved in rape cases against Dalit girls.
However after his statement led to an outcry, Goyat said his remarks were "twisted and misinterpreted".
He also stated that had not spoken on behalf of the party and they were his personal views.
He termed former former Haryana Chief Minister O P Chautala`s suggestion that girls should be married off at 16 years as "ill-conceived, illogical and undesired".
Chautala had backtracked from his statement yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them