Haryana Congress leader shifts onus on women for rapes
Chandigarh: Under fire for spiralling rape cases, the Haryana Congress has found itself in a middle of another row with a local party leader stating that 90 per cent rapes were "consensual" only to retract the comments later.
Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee member and Congress Hisar district spokesman Dharambir Goyat told reporters in Hisar last night that "90 per cent of rape cases are (a case of) consensual sex between the girl and boy."
He was asked about the rising rape incidents in Haryana in the past one month for which the state government has been facing criticism from opposition Indian National Lok Dal, Haryana Janhit Congress and BJP for the "worsening" law and order situation.
Goyat said, "The girl gets into an affair with a boy and she goes with him without knowing that he is of criminal mindset. It`s not the state government which is responsible for rapes, infact in most of the cases its consensual sex."
"In 90 per cent cases, the girls and women initially accompany boys on their own and are later trapped in gangrape by criminals," Goyat said, noting that Uttar Pradesh reported the highest number of rapes.
"In Haryana all the rapists have been sent to jail. The rapist has no caste or creed.In Hisar district in one year alone among the 38 rape cases, 19 were against minors and 19 against women," he said, adding in many cases Dalit boys were involved in rape cases against Dalit girls.
However after his statement led to an outcry, Goyat said his remarks were "twisted and misinterpreted".
He also stated that had not spoken on behalf of the party and they were his personal views.
He termed former former Haryana Chief Minister O P Chautala`s suggestion that girls should be married off at 16 years as "ill-conceived, illogical and undesired".
Chautala had backtracked from his statement yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan