Haryana’s village for anti-female foeticide campaign
Jind: Bibipur village, which shot into national limelight for raising voice against female foeticide, will soon be seen playing a larger role in creating awareness on the social evil among students of Delhi University and Kurukshetra University.
In addition, the village residents are also eyeing to spread the campaign to others parts of Haryana.
"The village had received invitation from students of both varsities to hold awareness campaigns in their respective institutions, following which we have decided to convert our initiative against female foeticide into a mission," Sarpanch Bibipur Sunil Jaglan said.
Few research scholars of Delhi University, who attended the July 14 Khap Mahapanchayat in Bibipur, have invited the villagers to hold an awareness campaign in their institution, he said.
"Though we have started our efforts to hold the campaign in both varsities, the dates are yet to be finalised," Jaglan said.
"We do not want to strict ourselves to a village, but the intention is to generate awareness in other parts of Haryana as well," he added.
A Khap Mahapanchayat held in Bibipur on July 14, attended by leaders of over 300 khaps from Haryana, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh, took a stern stand against female foeticide and demanded that murder charges be slapped against those who indulge in the "heinous act".
The Mahapanchayat, a conglomeration of various caste councils, saw a large number of women participants.
Appreciating the efforts of Bibipur residents, especially women, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on July 15 announced Rs 1 crore for the development of village.
Hooda said the initiative by the village would inspire others to bring about positive social changes not only in Haryana, but in other parts of the country as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read