Head of hotel management department of MDU shot at in campus
Rohtak: The head of hotel and tourism management department at an institute of Maharishi Dayanand University was on Monday shot at and critically injured by a youth in his office on the university campus here, police said.
Dr Ashish Dahiya was alone in his office on the new university campus this morning when the armed-youth barged in and fired three shots from a close range, two of which hit the victim in his stomach, police said.
Dahiya was rushed to casualty ward of PGIMS hospital here, where doctors carried out emergency surgery to save his life, following which he was admitted to Intensive Care Unit and his condition was stated to be critical, they said.
A former student of the varsity may be behind the crime, they said, adding that the cause of the assault is yet to be ascertained.
The police have started a probe in the matter after registering a case against unidentified persons under relevant sections of the India Penal Code in this regard.
"We have begun investigation to find out identity of the attacker and the reason behind this assault. Statements of staffers and students are also being recorded to ascertain the clue about the attacker," police said.
Giving details, police said out of three shots fired by the assailant, one round missed the target, but two bullets pierced through Dahiya`s stomach. The attacker managed to escape from the scene after the crime, they said.
Hearing sound of gun-shots, other faculty members and students rushed to the office and found Dahiya lying in a pool of blood. They then rushed him to PGIMS here.
Security personnel failed to nab the attacker even though they cordoned off all exit points of the university just after the incident, they said.
Notably, Dahiya was recently bestowed with `Atithi Ratna Award` during a national conference organised by Central University, Garhwal, in Rishikesh (Uttarakhand).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price