Rathore`s counsels claim Aradhana was planted witness
Chandigarh: SPS Rathore`s counsel on Wednesday told
a local court hearing his plea challenging his conviction in
the Ruchika molestation case that Aradhana, the prime witness
in the case, was planted against the former Haryana DGP due to
rivalry between two lawn tennis associations of Panchkula.
Rathore`s counsel also submitted before the Additional
District and Sessions Judge Gurbir Singh that Aradhana was not
present when the incident allegedly took place and that she
never visited the Haryana Lawn Tennis Association (HLTA)
That Ruchika`s friend Aradhana was a planted witness in
the case was the main stress of Rathore`s lawyers during the
third day of the day-to-day hearing in the case, Ruchika`s
family lawyer Pankaj Bhardwaj told reporters outside the court
declared out of bounds for the media.
Rathore`s lawyer wife Abha and their other lawyer N D
Sharma pleaded before the court that the former DGP was a
victim of rivalry between heads of two separate Lawn Tennis
Associations - Haryana Lawn Tennis Association (HLTA) and
Haryana Tennis Association (HTA) based at Panchkula.
At that time HLTA was headed by Rathore, an IPS officer,
whereas J K Duggal, an IAS officer was at the helm of affairs
The other contention of Rathore`s counsel was that the
CBI did not examine the relevant witness Paltoo (ball picker)
and the then HLTA manager Kuldeep Singh, Bhardwaj said.
The former Haryana police chief`s counsel cited some
court judgements while reading out the entire evidence in the
court which is also hearing petitions of the CBI and the
victim`s family seeking enhancement of Rathore`s six-month
prison term in the case.
At the adjournment of the day`s in-camera proceedings,
the tainted former DGP`s lawyer wife Abha and the other
counsel Sharma also entered into an argument with the
68-year-old Rathore was also present during the
The ADSJ during its hearing in the case on April 16 had
directed that the three petitions filed by Rathore, CBI and
Ruchika`s family and friends will be heared on a day-to-day
basis from May three to May eight without adjournments.
The former DGP was sentenced to six-month imprisonment
on December 21 last year by CBI Judge J S Sidhu who had held
him guilty of molesting a budding tennis player Ruchika
Girhotra, 14, at Panchkula near here in Haryana on August 12,
1990 who later committed suicide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India