Ruchika case verdict: Rathore`s grin turns into frown
Chandigarh: From a wide grin to a frown,
disgraced former Haryana Police DGP SPS Rathore`s body
language changed in a matter of minutes today as the court
today enhanced his sentence to 18 months in jail for molesting
teenager Ruchika Girhotra 20 years ago.
68-year-old Rathore was his confident self as he waved
to mediapersons with a beaming face while starting from his
house in posh Sector 6 at Panchkula, about 15 km from here.
Nearly an hour after the verdict was pronounced
Rathore, wearing a light-brown trouser, a light-blue shirt and
a tie, came out of the court escorted by CBI officials.
The group made their way to the car as mediapersons
jostled to click his pictures and get a byte, but a grim
Rathore remained mum.
Earlier, as Rathore sat quietly with his lawyer-wife
Abha in the court, Additional District and Session Judge
Gurbir Singh upheld his conviction and enhanced the sentence
from six months to 18 months. He ordered that Rathore be taken
"I will keep smiling," he told reporters in court
while trying to put up a brave front.
Abha pleaded that Rathore had undergone a heart
surgery and had an appointment with PGIMER`s Director K K
Talwar in the evening, but the court directed that he be first
taken to Burail jail.
However, Rathore and his lawyer wife did not leave the
courtroom, insisting that they be provided a copy of the
verdict. The judge was forced to come back to his chamber
again and directed that Rathore be sent to the jail.
The judge had to clarify that as per CrPC, a convict
cannot immediately demand a copy of the judgement in the
His lawyer will have to apply before the
court to get a certified copy for an appeal later, he told
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men