Veteran Congress leader Vasant Sathe dead
Gurgaon: Congress veteran and former Union
Minister Vasant Sathe died here on Friday night of heart attack.
He was 86.
Sathe complained of chest pain late in the evening and
was rushed to a private hospital where doctors declared him
He breathed his last at 7:50 pm., doctors said.
A lawyer by training, Sathe was the Union Minister for
Information and Broadcasting in Prime Minister Indira Gandhi`s
Known for his frank views, he had touched on many issues
like a debate on Presidential form of governance and demand
for Priyanka Gandhi`s entry into active politics.
President Pratibha Patil Congress President Sonia Gandhi
condoled Sathe`s death.
"I`m saddened by Shri Sathe`s death", said Patil.
"Vasant Sathe was a senior party leader known for his
frank views," AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi said.
Born on March 5, 1925, at Nashik in Maharashtra, Sathe
received his early education at Bhonsla Military School and
did his masters in Economics and Political Science at Nagpur
Mahavidyalaya, followed by a degree in Law at Morris College,
He took active part in the freedom movement and removed
the British flag and unfurling the Indian tricolour at the
district court in Nagpur during the Quit India Movement.
Sathe made his debut in the Lok Sabha from Akola in 1972
and later represented Wardha constituency from 1980 to 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read