14 Americans airlifted from Himachal valley
Shimla: Airlifting of stranded tourists and locals from high altitude areas of rain-ravaged Kinnaur district in Himachal Pradesh began Monday after some delay owing to bad weather in the morning, officials said. Fourteen Americans were evacuated in the first sortie.
Fourteen US nationals, who were stranded in the picturesque Sangla Valley that has been cut off from the rest of the state since June 16, were airlifted, some 120 km from state capital, RK Bhardwaj, who is assisting the rescue operations in Sangla, told a news agency.
He said Sangla still has 44 tourists and they would be evacuated by Monday evening. Sangla is some 275 km from here.
Officials said around 40-50 tourists are stranded in Pooh and sorties are continuing to airlift them as early as possible.
"Except at Sangla and Pooh, there is no stranded tourist anywhere in the district," an official said.
The Indian Air Force (IAF) has deployed two choppers, while the state deployed one for rescuing both locals and tourists.
Around 150 tourists and locals were evacuated from variosus places, including Pooh and Nako Sunday.
Deputy Commissioner JM Pathania said the road link between the state capital Shimla and district headquarters Rekong Peo was restored Sunday, after a week`s closure.
"Now the stranded tourists would be airlifted till Rekong Peo from where they will be sent back to their destinations through public transport vehicles," he said.
Earlier, the base camp for the rescued people was Rampur in Shimla district.
Pathania said work is now continuing to reopen 70-km road link between Rekong Peo and Pooh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price