BJP was soft on Bangaru: Shanta Kumar
Dharamsala: Had the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) acted well in time, it would not have to face the embarrassment of one of its top leaders being convicted in a bribery case, senior party leader Shanta Kumar said here Sunday.
"Had (former BJP chief) Bangaru Laxman been ousted at that time, the party would not have to face such an embarrassing situation today," he told reporters.
Kumar had raised the demand to remove Laxman immediately after he was caught on camera in 2001, receiving Rs.1 lakh in cash from a journalist of newsportal tehelka.com posing as an arms dealer.
"When I raised the demand, some party leaders were not happy with my suggestion. Now, they are saying the party has nothing to do with Bangaru," the party vice president said.
A Delhi court Saturday awarded four years` rigorous imprisonment to Laxman for accepting the bribe from the tehelka.com journalist in the guise of an arms dealer.
"If the party would have acted at that time, it would be in a position now to say that it had taken action against the person who was involved in corruption. But unfortunately, we cannot not say this today as we didn`t take action on time," he added.
Still, Kumar said, the BJP also "should introspect. It is time to take some tough steps against corruption."
He said BJP-ruled Himachal Pradesh is also not exception. "There is a need to check corruption. (The government) is compromising on the issue and needs to addressed it seriously."
Kumar has been staying away from the state party meetings, saying the Prem Kumar Dhumal-led government is not tough against corruption and promoting nepotism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video