Devotees throng Himachal Pradesh temples as Navratri starts
Shimla: Thousands of devotees on Monday thronged temples in Himachal Pradesh to mark the onset of the nine-day long Chaitra Navratri festival, the holy period for the Hindus.
"We are expecting over 50,000 people every day at the Brajeshwari Devi shrine," temple official Ajit Bhardwaj told a news agency.
One of the busiest shrines in north India, the Brajeshwari Devi temple in Kangra town sees a majority of pilgrims from Punjab, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh.
Likewise, a huge rush was seen at the popular shrine of Chintpurni in Una, Baba Balak Nath in Hamirpur, Naina Devi temple in Bilaspur, Jwalaji and Chamunda Devi in Kangra, and Bhimakali and Hateshwari in Shimla district.
The festival will conclude with Ram Navami on April 08.
The ban on offering coconuts as a precaution against terrorist attacks would remain in force at all the temples, a senior police officer said.
Himachal Pradesh is known as `land of gods`. It has 28 prominent temples, most of which are in Kangra, Una and Bilaspur districts.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark