Flights resume ahead of IPL matches in Dharamsala
Dharamsala: Here`s good news for cricket buffs. Delhi-Dharamsala flights resume from May 15, just a day before the Indian Premier League (IPL) match between Delhi Daredevils and Kings XI Punjab at the picturesque Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association stadium here.
This development comes almost eight months after the airport closed.
State civil aviation officials said Air India has announced that it would start the daily flight between Delhi and Dharamsala, also the abode of Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, a day before the IPL match.
The second and the last IPL match to be played here is between Mumbai Indians and Kings XI Punjab May 18.
Kingfisher was the only airline that operated regular flights between Delhi and three airports in Himachal - Jubbarhatti near Shimla, Gaggal near Dharamsala and Bhuntar near Kullu. However, it discontinued operations in the state before it was grounded in October last year.
Shimla and Kullu airports remain shut.
"It`s of course good news. Now we are expecting the arrival of good number of fans for both the matches," HPCA president Anurag Thakur, a member of the Lok Sabha, told IANS.
He said a request was made to the civil aviation ministry to start Air India flights ahead of the match, as lack of air connectivity proved a hindrance to the arrival of cricket fans in the final ODI between India and England here Jan 27.
The HPCA is leaving no stone unturned to make the IPL matches at its new showpiece venue, located at an altitude of 4,000 feet above sea level, with the mighty snow-clad Dhauladhar Ranges forming the backdrop, a memorable affair.
The popularity of the venue soared after the seven IPL matches in the past three seasons and the first ODI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam