Rohtang Pass open for traffic
Keylong (HP): The Rohtang Pass, closed for
the last 25 days due to heavy snowfall, has been reopened for
traffic thus facilitating movement between Kullu valley and
Lahaul valley of Himachal Pradesh.
Though the Pass, situated at a height of 13,50 feet,
was opened late afternoon yesterday by the Border Roads
Organisation (BRO) after clearance of snow from roads in a
stretch of 40 km, movement of majority of stranded vehicles
started this morning only.
About 250 people had got stranded due to untimely
snowfall last month.
The Lahaul and Spiti district administration has made
special arrangements with the help of BRO officials for smooth
movement of the vehicles through difficult terrain of the Pass
which is the main route to strategic Leh.
A total of eight bulldozers, 35 BRO officials and as
many labourers worked overtime to clear snow-clogged roads
from Marhi to Rohtang on Kullu side and Koksar to Rohtang from
Lahaul and Spiti in 25 days.
Six feet to 20 feet snow had accumulated on roads in
difficult weather condition when temperature dipped to as low
as minus 25 to minus 30 degree celsius.
Fourteen people, mostly labourers from Jharkhand, had
died trapped in snowstorm when they in a group of 75 people
had set to cross the Pass on foot from Koksar on November
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?